Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Here is the way to solve Asus K61IC screen flickering

Ok, here is a solution for the problem that annoys you so far. I thought to write this post because I personally suffered from that. And I thought for a while I will never buy expensive laptops again.

So here are the symptoms I experienced during screen flicking period. This screen flickering happens 5 months after I bought the laptop. It is very random and sometimes screen flickers so that you 2-3 times a minute and sometimes few times for an hour. Screen becomes black/vertical lines as it flickers. And I noticed that it gets worse when it is on battery power.

I was able to figure out this as not related to software/driver issue. So it is basically a hardware problem that caused it.

This is how I solved it.

1. Unplug A/C power

2. Remove the battery

3. Remove back cover carefully (cases which cover hard drive and processor).

4. Now you can see processor (CPU), rams and graphic card (GPU).

5. Blow away all the dust in chips and then in cooling units of cpu and gpu using a blower. (never touch chips, soldering with your hand)

6. Adjust cables which have hinges and connectors just to verify them successfully connected.

7. Now replace the covers and you're done.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your help. I was in a big mess since last month. So I have also noticed a relationship with back cover and flicker. I feel it is Asus assembling problem. Don't feel it is driver, bios or OS dependent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked ASUS laptops for their support on games while while others only focused on office work. But this K61IC started screen flicker and I am almost fed up with its annoyance. I read many forums and found ASUS repair does not eliminate this permanently. Users complain it comes back after few weeks or months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that I have isolated the problem to the video cable. The FIRST time I "fixed" it, I took it all apart- looking for something obvious. I did not find any probs, but when I put it all back it worked great! For a month. I started to selectively disassemble it when it would happen. Finally, when I just disconnected the cable from the back of the screen and put it back together, that was it. One of these times I f'ed up and cracked the display! I bought a new one and after a month it started to flicker. I have found that if I use some DeOxit gold on the connector, it will go three months. I am just too stoopid to give up.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment on this article so that other users may take advantage of this. Relative comments to this article are welcome.